6.15.2010

Who was the guy in the movie....????

The older I get, the more I realize I need to do those Mensa puzzles or start doing crosswords so my brain doesn't turn to mush. I'm smacked awake at night trying to figure out what the name of some actor was in some movie (that I probably didn't even like) or I'm in the middle of a conversation w/ friends and I completely forget the name of the main character....

This ever happen to you??? I don't blame you if you don't want to admit to it, either. ; )

So here's my helpful resource for today: (drum roll) Biographical Resources! Yep...some will help you (or me, rather) with the above issues.

Most reference areas have these books....and I have to say....looking at the content in the book is sometimes more rewarding than looking these up online. Of course, if you are in a hurry and can't get to the library, online is great.

In my opinion, these were the best overall (not subject specific) biography online resources:
  • Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (DNB)
  • American National Biography (ANB)
If you prefer an essay format, a picture and an author, these two databases are exceptional. They both provide advanced search features, but also, searchable themes. Students searching for info on the American Revolution or the "Bluestocking Circle" can find people associated w/ the topics, bibliography resources (in some cases) and links to related or similar themes.

Some subject dictionaries that are exceptional are:
  • The Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians
  • The Grove Dictionary of Art
Both of these are accessible online and in print, however, I found the music dictionary in print much more user-friendly than the online version. I'm sure this is just a matter of familiarity, but newbies might want to check out the print version.

Actors, writers, political figures, notable and infamous...most are here in these dictionaries! Some libraries specialize in regional and theme-specific dictionaries, depending on their clientele. So ask the Reference Librarian if you are looking for someone special....

Other Resources:
Marquis Who's Who
Current Biography

Cheers,

A

No comments:

Post a Comment